Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Borax Obsessed: My Top 10 Uses
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a little, OK maybe a lot, obsessed with keeping a clean house. So, after seeing many magazine articles and internet posts about the many amazing uses of a Borax, I finally decided to try it for myself. I picked up a 4oz. box of 20 Mule Team Borax at Wegmans for $3.79 and started putting it to use right away.
OMG...why oh why have I waited sooooo long to try this miracle worker?!?!?!? I. AM. HOOKED. Move over vinigar and baking soda, Borax has moved into the neighborhood!
I have been slowly, but successfully, trying to eliminate a lot of chemicals from my cleaning arsenal (more on that another time), so the fact that Borax is natural and ecofriendly is a total win.
Here are my favorite top 10 uses for this wonder mineral....
1. Laundry booster! Add a scoup to your regular detergent to help boost it's potential.
2. Laundry stain remover! Create a pretreat power paste by mixing a couple tablespoons with warm water and applying to the stain.
3. Clean your garbage disposal! Sprinkle down a few tablespoons, let it sit for an hour, and rinse with warm water.
4. Freshen your mattress! Sprinkle atop your mattress, let it sit for a moment, and vacuum it off.
5. Make your own all purpose cleaner! Mix two tablespoons with two cups of hot water in a spray bottle.
6. Unclog and clean your drains! Pour a half cup down the drain followed with two cups of hot water. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then flush the drain out by running water for a minute.
7. Dishwasher booster! Pour a quarter cup into the bottom of your dishwasher to help boost your favorite detergent and eliminate spots and film on your glasses and dishes.
8. Clean your toilets! Pour a quarter cup in your toilet bowl, scrub, and flush. For tougher jobs, let it sit for 30 minutes before flushing.
9. Carpet stain remover! Combine a half cup of Borax and two cups of warm water. Apply to the stain and let it sit for a half hour. Use cold water to sponge away the solution and blot dry.
10. Carpet refresher! Sprinkle it on your carpets, let it sit for fifteen minutes and then vaccumm it out.