Monday, July 15, 2013

Galvanized Tub Turned Outdoor Ottoman


You may recall this galvanized tub from my Summer Lobster Boil post. It looked so much prettier than a cooler to hold beverages in...


I am OBSESSED with this ottoman. I absolutely love it and wanted to do something a little more permanent with it where I could enjoy it more than just when we have guests over for a cookout. I REALLY needed an ottoman for our deck. I saw one at Target a while back that I liked and waited too long for it to go on sale...because when it did, it was g-o-n-e. So, why not turn the galvanized tub into an ottoman? AND..the best part is the top lifts off and I can still use it to hold beverages when needed!

This is how the transformation took place...

First, I laid the tub out upside down on some pressure treated plywood and traced it around so I knew where to cut.


Now, a Jigsaw would have been the ideal tool for the job...but hubby was away and I couldn't find the blades for his. So I improvised using his Sawzall. It was tricky, but it got the job done. When I cut the plywood, I cut inside the line by about a half inch so it would fit nicely into the top of the tub.


At my local craft store, I picked up a piece of 22"x22" 2" thick foam, button covers, and a yard of this gorgeous Waverly Sun Shade outdoor fabric. I cut the foam round to fit on top of the now cut plywood, draped the fabric over it, found my center and sewed on the button now covered with a snippet of the fabric. Next, using a staple gun, I pulled the fabric taut over the foam and stapled it along the underside of the plywood.

I love the way it turned out! : )


 

31 comments:

  1. Love it! I am SO not handy or crafty! I will live vicariously through your creativity! <3

    ~Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it last night and it looks great!
    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! One of the rare original ideas I've seen on-line in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this AND I have a tub! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I look forward to seeing yours : )

      Delete
  5. Eleanor,
    What a cute project! I love DIY stuff like this, though anything involving big tools is sometimes intimidating :) I just love that you can use this as both a stool and for drinks - so very clever!
    I'm stopping by from the Wow us Wednesday link party and now following you on Facebook.
    - Ang
    www.jugglingactmama.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela! Love the construction theme party. I "Liked" you back on Facebook : )

      Delete
  6. You clever girl! Pinned and shared on face book:) Stop by. I posted fabric flower refashion to Wow us Wed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks : ) The fabric flowers are SO cute. What a neat way to dress-up a plain tank!

      Delete
  7. That is so cute and I absolutely love the fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat! I love that fabric too...think I may need to go get some more to make some pillows : )

      Delete
  8. Such a cute idea! It looks so cute, and I love the fabric you chose. I just love the look of it. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany! Liked you on Facebook and added you to my Linky Party page : )

      Delete
  9. Great idea! So clever and cute! Thanks for linking up at The Creative Connection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How clever is this! I love this idea! I'll be featuring this on my blog tomorrow!

    http://www.sumossweetstuff.com

    Thanks for linking up!
    Sumo:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool idea!Well done!
    http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a super creative idea. featuring in my weekly wow's next Friday. I am off to find a tub!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe you cut that all out with a saws-all! It turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither could my husband! LOL Thanks : )

      Delete
  14. So cute! I am always looking for things to put my feet on in the garden. This is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this and there are so many cute Sun Shade fabrics on sale right now, I just picked up some from Joanne's 50% off...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a fabulous idea, would be great for both if you had an easy way to get the seat off! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...