Last week the weather finally dried out a bit, the clouds parted, and we had a gorgeous summer day. Logan and I joined some friends at Chase Farms Market for a little strawberry picking. Logan ate about as many as he picked, but it fortunately still left us enough fresh strawberries to make my Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Oh, how I love me some Strawberry Rhubarb Pie!
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup fresh rhubarb, chopped
3 cups fresh strawberries1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar. Add strawberries and chopped rhubarb. Toss with sugar and flour and let stand for 30 minutes.
3. Pour filling into pie crust. Dot top with butter, and cover with top crust. I chose to do a very simple basket weave pattern with my top crust. Simply cut your top crust into strips and weave together on top of the filling like a basket. Pinch edges to seal.
4. Apply yolk to top of pie, using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut small holes in top to let steam escape.
5. Bake at 400 degrees, for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and brown.
6. Turn off oven and let pie site in oven an extra 15 minutes to allow the filling to thicken.
7. Cool on rack.
If you go...Chase Farms Market is family owned and operated located at 459 Pannell Road in Fairport. U-Pick hours vary depending on conditions, so always visit their web site or call them at 315-986-3691 before heading out.