Tuesday, June 4, 2013

DIY Outdoor Chalkboard


I spied an abandoned sheet of plywood in our basement and this project instantly popped into my head. I hate chalk dust inside (it gets EVERYWHERE), and the hubby hates chalk on his super clean, you-could-eat-off-of-it, driveway. So an outdoor chalkboard was the perfect solution!

I started by having the hubby cut down the plywood sheet to fit where I wanted to mount it on the side of our swing set. Then he used pressure treated wood to trim off the edges for a more finished look. Next, to help seal and protect the plywood, I painted the entire piece, front and back, with deck stain left over from last summer and let it dry in the hot Memorial Day sun. Hubby then mixed me up a combo of black exterior paint and sanded grout. I painted one, thick coat and then let it dry.

A fabulous addition to our backyard playground!


Toodles,

Eleanor

9 comments:

  1. How cute! I love chalkboards, but the mess they make is a bit hard to maintain- inside at least. I love the idea of having it outside, the mess doesn't matter. Thanks so much for sharing! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!! Bet the kids love it!!
    Thanks for sharing at Monday Funday Link Party!
    Hope your week is extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this fabulous idea. This is such an awesome post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party. Hope you can join us!

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! No worries about the chalk dust everywhere and fun for outdoor games, too. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have spray chalkboard paint a an outdoor place I want to do this! Can I use that? I don't want the weather to ruin it! Do you have to seal the chalkboard paint? Won't that ruin the way the chalk works on it?? Thanks so much!
    candace1112@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...