Monday, March 18, 2013

Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho It's off to Urgent Care I Go

About four days ago I developed an itchy rash on my right side lower back area. I thought it was a heat rash or such. Then it spread to my stomach and developed blisters. And I when I woke up today it had spread even more (I won't get into the details) and I'm having pain in my right hip.

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to Southwest Florida Urgent Care I go.

The nurse takes one look at it and thinks it's Shingles. The doctor confirms it. So. Not. Cool.

I'm too young for Shingles. The nurse says it's brought on usually by stress. But I'm on vacation I tell her. In Florida. You know, palm trees, sun. Stress, really? I think not. They give me a prescription and tell me it may or may not help. Apparently, I should have come in within the first 48 hours the symptoms showed up for it to be most effective.

Now, let me rewind to the week before I left for Florida. Hubby was coming down with Shingles. "Oh don't worry", he says, "It's not contagious". Yeah. Right. Thanks babe.

Not exactly how I want to spend my last week in Florida. But, hey, at least I can now chime in with all the other old farts about my medical ailment.

Shingles SUCKS! Don't think you are too young to get it. It's sooo painful, not to mention ugly and can leave long term nerve damage. I strongly urge you to ask your physician about getting the vaccine next time you have an appointment. ANYONE who has had the Chicken Pox is at risk.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...