Saturday, November 3, 2012

DIY No Sew Burlap Table Runner

Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and the thought of my bare dining room table against my beautiful new Johnson Brothers Wild Turkey dinner plates was appalling. I needed a new table runner...on the cheap...and did I mention I can't sew? Stitch Witchery is my best friend.

Enter the DIY no-sew burlap table runner! SO easy! Here's how...

You'll Need:
-About 2 yards of burlap (usually anywhere from $6-$10/yard)
-Sharpie to mark your burlap
-Measuring tape
-Scissors
-Stitch Witchery (about $3.50/roll)
-Iron (an ironing board to go along with the iron too!)

1. Measure the length of your dining room table and add 8" to each end for a slight overhang and the fringe.

2. Most table runners are about 15" in width, add an additional 2" for your hem, for a total width of 17". The one side of my burlap was already finished, so I only needed to add 1".

3. Lay out your burlap, measure, mark and cut!

 

After I cut my burlap, I gave it a good ironing to get out any creases. Note: Burlap is tough to iron, spray starch worked well for this task!

4. On each end of your cut burlap, measure 6" from the bottom. This is where your fringe will start and you do not want to "sew" this section.

5. Fold over the edge seam about 1/2", place the Stitch Witchery under the fold, and sew...er, iron.


It should look something like this when your done "sewing"...


6. Next, unravel reach end of your runner.


7. For the fringe, grab about six strands and knot them.


And your done! Now you have a beautiful table runner for your Thanksgiving table. SO Pottery Barn and how very Martha Stewart of you : )



1 comment:

  1. Looks like we are ready for Thanksgiving! I can smell the turkey roasting already...
    Uncle Mark

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...