Monday, October 8, 2012

My Weekend Getaway to Boiling Springs, PA

So for the third time within a month I packed my bags and headed south to Pennsylvania. Yes, I know, not the most glamorous destination, but such a pretty part of our country. Boiling Springs is located just across the Susquehanna River from Harrisburg, and about 30 miles north of Gettysburg.

How did I select such a destination, you may ask? Family. Why do any of us go half the places we do? To visit family. And this was not just any weekend in Boiling Springs, but homecoming weekend and all the activities associated with small town homecoming. Here are the lovelies all dressed for homecoming...


My cousin Bill's daughter Annette, is the beauty on the far left. And my cousin Liz's daughter is the beauty in the navy blue dress, second in from the right. They are both freshman this year at Boiling Springs High School.


Above: Here I am in all my fall glory posing in front of the Children's Lake. The Children's Lake is a beautiful spot in the center of town full of ducks, geese and a lovely walking path and benches.

Below: Logan taking in the scenery from his stroller. If I'd of let him out, he'd probably jump in the lake after all those ducks! In the background you can see the Boiling Springs Mill, on record as early as 1785. The mill is one of, if not the most photographed building in the village.


Below: Logan LOVED playing in the leaves with his grandpa along the lake! It was a beautiful fall day.


Another thing I love about Pennsylvania Dutch country...the food! It's all comfort food, comfort food, comfort food! And the best is, in my opinion, Rice Pudding! Now, you can get Rice Pudding in Rochester out of your grocer's dairy section...but I'm sorry Cozy Shack, you are good, not as good as you get at the Middlesex Diner though.


Here's a great recipe for homemade Rice Pudding to try for yourself. It's very simple. I don't add raisins, dates or figs. I prefer mine served warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top!




1 comment:

  1. YOu got back into blogging yeah. follow me and will do the same for you:)
    andrea

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...